Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Vegetables

As the price of gas continues to rise, the price of food is getting out of hand. What used to be a $50 grocery store trip has turned into a $75-$100 trip now. Hubby, Miss Bug and I made a trip to the grocery store this past weekend (1 of 3 in 3 days) to purchase items for 3 meals – gumbo, jambalaya and shrimp scampi. $72 later and somewhat burnt gumbo, I thought my hubby was going to have a coronary. Let me add that the shrimp was on sell for $5.99 a pound. So I mostly purchased vegetables to make the gumbo with the exception of chicken thighs (you can’t get much cheaper than thighs when buying chicken) and smoked sausage for the gumbo and jambalaya. This has led me to attempt (attempt is the key word here) in growing my own garden. I have no clue where to even start. We do have a great place in our backyard to have a garden where it will be out of the way and probably wouldn’t even be noticeable.

All I need now is a chicken, pig and a cow.

No comments: